Birds & Butterflies of Aiken – 2017 Nature Series Schedule
“The purpose of Birds & Butterflies seminars and field trips are to foster the love and appreciation of the natural things God has created for our enjoyment.”
More than 100 bird species have been reported at this Aiken County Park that includes a large pond, a boardwalk across a woodland swamp, and forests that are good for warbler, finches, and many other fall migrants. Peter Stangel with the U.S. Endowment for Forestry and Communities will lead us as we hike about 3 miles over easy terrain and spend some quiet time on the boardwalk just watching as the birds go by. The trip will last 2-3 hours. Meet at 8:00AM at Boyd Pond Park. Directions available at Birds & Butterflies. Limited to 15 people.
Dr. Harry Shealy, former Chairman of the Board of Directors of Hitchcock Woods Foundation and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Biology at USCA and Dr. Walt Kubilius, Environmental Geologist at Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, will lead a tour of Hitchcock Woods. Learn about the history and geology of Hitchcock Woods and become familiar with this Aiken gem.
Great for those new to the Aiken area and those who have lived here for a while. Meet at the Tea Cottage Gate off of Dibble Road at 9:00AM. Wear comfortable walking clothes. Relatively easy
walking. Limited to 25 participants. Rain date Saturday, October 15.
Dr. Whit Gibbons, Professor Emeritus, Univ. of Georgia’s SREL will bring live specimens of salamanders native to Aiken County. Participants will receive tips on how to find and identify them as well as learn about the ecology and behavior of this intriguing hidden biodiversity.
Space is limited, so reservations are required by calling 649-7999.
- There is a $5.00 non-refundable charge for each seminar or field trip when the reservation is made. Children 16 and under are free.
- Seminars begin at 7:00PM at Birds & Butterflies, 117 Laurens St. NW in downtown Aiken unless otherwise noted. Most seminars last 45-60 minutes.
- If a particular seminar is full, additional sessions may be scheduled.
- Unless otherwise noted, seminars are presented by Ron Brenneman, Certified Wildlife Biologist and owner of Birds & Butterflies.
- Shop discounts & special door prizes and refreshments at each seminar at Birds & Butterflies.